Hold down the Side and Volume Down buttons until you see the option to reboot the phone
- To restart, press and hold the Side button and Volume Down button. Tap Restart on the power menu.
- Or, access that menu via Quick settings: Swipe down twice from the top of the screen, tap the Power icon.
This article explains a few ways to restart or power down the Samsung Galaxy S20.
How to Restart a Galaxy S20 With the Buttons
Although Samsung removed the dedicated power button, there’s still a way to use the physical hardware buttons to restart or power down the S20. Here’s how to do that:
- Press-and-hold both the Side button and the Volume Down button.
- Continue holding these buttons until the power menu appears.
SEE: These buttons are also used to screenshot a Galaxy S20, so if you don’t hold the buttons long enough, you’ll take a screenshot instead. Conversely, if you hold these buttons longer, for about 20 seconds, it will forcibly restart the phone.
- You’ll see three options. Tap Restart to reboot the phone.
How to Restart a Galaxy S20 via Quick Settings
One of the easiest and fastest ways to restart a Samsung Galaxy S20 is to use Quick settings, which can be accessed from anywhere by simply dragging downward from the top of the screen. Here’s what to do:
- From any screen, swipe down to open the half-screen Quick settings panel.
- Swipe down one more time to open the full-screen panel, then tap the power icon at the top right.
- Select Restart from the list of options.
How to Change the Side Button Function on a Samsung S20
By default, the side button on the Samsung Galaxy S20 will activate Bixby. If you’d rather trigger the power menu instead, so you can reboot or power down your phone with that button, you can reconfigure it to do just that. Here’s how to customize that:
- Use one of the methods above to open the power settings menu — either with the icon in the Quick settings panel or by pressing the side buttons.
- Tap Side key settings at the bottom.
- From the Press and hold section, choose the Power off menu.
- Now, instead of opening Bixby when you press and hold the side button, it will open the power settings menu, allowing you to quickly restart or power down your Galaxy S20.
Where Is the Samsung Galaxy S20 Power Button?
Beginning with the Samsung Galaxy S20, Galaxy S phones made a slight change to the physical design of the device. There’s no dedicated power button anymore, which makes restarting or shutting down the phone a bit more complicated than it used to be.
How do I turn off my Samsung S20?
To turn off a Samsung S20, bring up the Power menu and tap Power Off. To turn the screen off, press the Bixby button once.
How do I reset my Samsung S20?
To factory reset a Samsung device, go to Settings > General Management Reset > Factory Data Reset. Be sure to back up everything on your iPhone that you want to save.
How do I screenshot on my Samsung S20?
To take a screenshot on a Samsung S20, press Volume Down+Power, or use the Smart Select tool in the Edge Panel. If you have gestures enabled, place the side of your palm in the center of the screen and swipe.