Table of Contents
How to Activate Secret YouTube Dark Mode
Are you aware that YouTube has a hidden dark theme mode on its website version in Google Chrome? Google secretly added this feature on its own web browser since last year.
In this post, I will show you how to activate the dark mode on YouTube web version. Though yesterday, Google hinted that they are working on bringing this feature to the YouTube app for Android devices just as it is on Twitter.
Recall, last year Twitter added the dark theme feature to it Android app. The main purpose of dark themes is to help minimize the effects of blue rays that comes out of white phone screens especially at night.
Dark Mode swaps YouTube’s classic white-and-red theme for black, and also tweaks the user interface.
To Activate the Dark Mode (Night Mode), you require a little of fiddling, but the entire process takes less than a minute.
How to Activate YouTube’s Dark Mode on Google Chrome
- Open YouTube on Chrome browser and sign into your account (normally your gmail account)
- Access Chrome DevTools by opening the Chrome menu (directly below the browser’s Close key) and selecting Developer Tools in the More Tools section
- Click on Console and Paste this code
into the text box and hit enter
- Then Close DevTools and refresh the page (sign in again if this logs you out)
- Click your Google profile picture in the top right corner of the screen, select Dark Mode and activate it
It’s a bold, unfamiliar new look that’s likely to divide opinion, but its novelty hasn’t worn off for me quite yet.
Though I am not impressed by this. Google should at least make a one-click step for activating it just like Twitter. Let’s hope the fix this on upcoming updates.